I needed a creative idea for a Christmas present for my whiskey-loving beau. I bought him his favorite whiskey, some fancy-schmancy whiskey stones, but still needed something else. So off to Pinterest I went, where I got inspired to make him his own personalized set of whiskey glasses.
What You’ll Need:
- Contact Paper
- X-acto knife
- Set of glassware (You can get a cheap set at Walmart, Target)
- Glass etching cream (I used Armour Etch brand which I found at Michael’s)
- Wash the glassware to get rid of any dirt, dust, grease, etc.
- Create a stencil from your contact paper.
- Cut the image/letter(s) you want to etch out of the contact paper. You can use a premade or homemade stencil to trace onto the contact paper.
- To cut out the “C”s, I found a font I liked on MS Word, printed the “stencils” out, and then placed the printed pages behind the contact paper to trace and cut out with an X-acto knife.
- Place the contact paper stencil onto the glassware. Make sure to rub down all the edges. You don’t want any of the etching cream to leak.
- Put gloves on and make sure you are in a well ventilated room. The etching cream is very potent and…harsh.
- Place the etching cream within the stencil, where you want the glass to be etched. Lay it on as a very thick layer and let sit for 5-8 minutes (or however long the instructions on your etching cream say).
- Rinse off with water and peel off the contact paper stencil. Voila! Make sure to wash the glassware afterwards with soap and water to make sure all the chemicals are gone.
Let me know what else you etch and about your (hopefully) successful projects!